Kaustubh Katdare, a young electrical engineer working in the IT industry, gets bored with his daily chores at office and wants to do something big. A big fan of Extreme Engineering and Megastructures (shown on Discovery Channel) that he was, he wanted to work on something "mega". But realising that it was easier said that done, he started looking for an online forum where he could at least get in touch with some of those, already working on such mega projects. So began the search, but was soon frustrated when he found none of quality. That gave birth to an idea, to bring all the engineers in the world together, in a common forum, where they could interact and share their ideas.
He was crazy wasn't he? To think he could get all the engineering minds together in one place? Yes, he was crazy. And it was his craziness that gave rise to CrazyEngineers. On 26th November, 2005 the CrazyEngineers forum was formed and subsequently the website too. The forum is the place that he had envisioned. CrazyEngineers or CE as it's fondly called, runs with the tag line, "Uniting engineers across the world" and so far it has managed to rope in around 69,000 like-minded engineers from more than 187 countries around the world and the number is growing by the day. Now, that definitely is a feat to be complimented about! Getting huge no of visitors to the forum shows its ever increasing popularity. And why not? CE hosts a large no of sections catering to all types of engineering palettes.
Some notable points about CE are:
- Common forum for engineers around the world. Gets you in touch with around 69,000+ engineers and the yet to be, with their 100,000+ posts in various sections of the forum.
- Forum has many sections catering to all types of needs that a CE member may have.
- CE Headquarter lists all CE related announcements and information while Start Point is the place for new members to get themselves acquainted with each other.
- Technical Discussions cover various topics related to respective engineering fields. This section also contains the most sought after Projects section where discussion on various project and seminar topics are shared with. You can find brilliant ideas for seminars and projects from students and engineers that is shared with all members for free. This makes it a very valuable resource and a must have for any engineering or a engineering student.
- CE Labs is another innovative section where engineers from all over the work come together and collaborate on projects.
- General Discussions sets you off with Debates, Quizzes, Puzzles and also on topics related to entrepreneurship and other events taking place in the engineering world. Help Center is for Career and Job guidance, while CE Lounge fills in for members wanting to chill out.
- Small Talk is a separate section on CE where many greats come and go entertaining people with their insightful interviews on various marketing and technical topics. Famous personalities such as Seth Godin, Mathew Hill and Achyut Godbole have graced this section.
- VoiCE acts as the official blog for CE giving updates about various activities and events across CE worth mentioning.
- Know your CEan allows members to get acquainted to particular members who are highlighted due to their dedicated work on CE.
- Contests, events and more, keeps happening all throughout the year rewarding the people who have contributed well.
CE made Kaustubh leave his job and dedicate his time fully to this novel idea called CrazyEngineers. Even if you are not a person from engineering field, this website is for you if you have the love for tech stuff. Bill Gates, Jobs, Wozzy, Dell etc made it big because they saw a dream and pursued it till they were satisfied. I see such a person in Kaustubh who seems determined to take CE to new heights. CrazyEngineers has been growing at a fast pace and has been providing a good ground to share resources and also interact with engineers and students from around the world. CE has been covered extensively by the media over the years. You can find them in magazine articles, YouTube videos and the like. Additionally, you can read about Kaustubh's interviews here and here.
Some words from Kaustubh Katdare, creator of CrazyEngineers
The God, they say, is the greatest engineer.God created Earth to accommodate life. Then he created us, the engineers, to make Earth a better place to live. We, the engineers, are responsible for the world that we live in today. We have turned dreams into reality. No doubt, we will continue to do so for the infinite time ahead.
CrazyEngineers (CE) provides a common platform to engineers around the world. Through CE’s online forums they can exchange ideas, views, share knowledge, innovate and help each other. Feel free to take a look at the discussions on CrazyEngineers forums. We bet you will enjoy our discussions.